Finnish Road Association
Finnish Road Association was founded in 1917. Even if the objectives of the Association have changed during the decades, the general aim has remained: promotion of roads and traffic in Finland. The Association is a member of the European Road Federation, ERF.
In Finland, 93 % of passenger transport performance and 68 % of goods transport performance takes place on road network. Therefore it is a national benefit to take good care of roads and streets to enable efficient, economical and safe road transports.
Finnish Road Association is a not-for profit - organization. It has collective members from various groups related to roads. They include among others: Finnish Transport Agency, municipalities, consulting and contracting companies, manufacturers and dealers of road equipment and material, associations and private road cooperatives. Individual members are road and traffic professionals working in these organizations. Also teachers, scientists and students in road related technical universities and colleges are qualified to join the Association.
The activities of the Finnish Road Association can be divided into two groups. Since the ultimate goal of the Association is to put pressure on decision-makers on issues like road financing, lobbying activities and use of media are of primary importance.
Another group of activities is regional, national and international symposiums, training courses, conferences and exhibitions. These include:
- National Transport Infrastructure Conference (Väylät & Liikenne), which is organized every other year. Two days event, 800-900 delegates, 5-7 parallel sessions, TransInfra - Exhibition
- Inernational Winter Road Congress in Finland (Talvitiepäivät), also a two days spectacular including a seminar, demonstrations and a large exhibition. --> more information: Winter Road Congress 2016
- YT/Infratech Event, a joint-venture of five associations. The program includes seminars and a major exhibition (municipal, road and traffic engineering, earth construction etc)
- Regional Meetings for Private Road Cooperatives
Even if most of the events listed above are primarily national, they have increasingly arisen interest of road and traffic professionals in neighboring countries (especially YT/Infratech and Winter Road Congress in Finland)
- Tie ja Liikenne (Road and Traffic) - Magazine which deals with road and traffic engineering and road policy. The most important publication for members, eight issues/year
- Yksityistieuutiset - Annual Journal, which deals with private roads
- Tie ja Liikennesanasto - Finnish/Swedish/English/German vocabulary on technical road and traffic terms
Finnish Road Association has also published (in Finnish) handbooks on management and maintenance of private roads as well as a history of Finnish roads.
You want to know more?
Don't hesitate to contact us:
Finnish Road Association
P.O. Box 55, FIN-00441 Helsinki
Tel. + 358 207 861 002 (Managing Director Nina Raitanen)